Every baker has a favorite chocolate cake recipe. And even the most health conscious among us likes to indulge once in awhile. Certified holistic health counselor Pamela Salzman gave us this healthier version of the sweet treat. Share it with someone you love.
Whole Grain Chocolate Bundt Cake With Chocolate Ganache, Raspberries, and Crushed Macarons
For the cake:
1 c boiling water
1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature + extra for greasing pan
1½ c muscovado sugar or unbleached cane sugar
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 c + 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp arrowroot powder
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1½ c buttermilk, at room temperature
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
For the ganache:
8 oz semisweet chocolate chips (1½ c)
½ c full-fat coconut milk, well-shaken
1 Tbsp unrefined virgin coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10-in bundt or tube pan with butter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine boiling water and cocoa powder. Whisk until the mixture is completely smooth. Set aside to cool and stir frequently to cool down more quickly.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, arrowroot, baking soda, and salt.
5. With the mixer on low speed, add half of flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and buttermilk. Then add the remainder of the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Lower temperature to 325° and continue baking until cake is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15-20 more minutes. Check the cake early in case your oven runs hot.
8. Cool cake 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before adding ganache.
9. To make the ganache: In a double boiler or heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt together the chocolate, coconut milk, and coconut oil. Whisk until completely smooth.
10. Drizzle ganache over top of cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Garnish with raspberries and crushed macarons for festive look.