Page 1Group 8Group 7Group 7
Beauty Style Fitness Wellness Living #RealTalk #AgingGracefully
Stay up to date

Get on the List

Unlock our weekly newsletter packed with tips on living authentically, healthfully, and stylishly at every age.Get on the List: The best beauty, fashion, wellness and fitness tips straight to your inbox

Organic: Yay or Nay?

From food to beauty products, labels can be so confusing. Aren’t the words “all natural” and “organic” interchangeable? And if something’s all natural, does it really matter if it’s organic? 

Turns out, they’re not the same.

Labels that read “all natural” simply indicate that the products don’t contain artificial ingredients or preservatives, and ingredients are minimally processed. They say nothing about antibiotics, hormones, or pesticides. (Incredibly lenient, if you ask us.) However, food sold as “organic” must be grown without fertilizers or pesticides made with synthetic ingredients, and cannot undergo oxidation or irradiation.

The Case for Yay

One of the biggest reasons to buy organic is the effects of pesticides on the body. Pesticides have been linked to an increased risk of cancer, negative effects on the nervous system, hormone disruption, and build-up of toxins that can prevent your cells from functioning. In addition, organic crops are said to possess more ample vitamins, minerals, and nutrients than their non-organic counterparts.

The Case for Nay

Organic is a buzzword that is used and abused way too often. According to the USDA, to qualify for an “organic” label, the product needs an ingredients list that is 95 percent or more “ certified organic” — which by USDA standards is free of synthetic additives like pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and dyes, and cannot be processed using industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering. That means that the remaining 5 percent can be whatever the manufacturer wants, as long as it’s on an approved list. If you see a 100 percent organic label, it means all of the ingredients fall under the certified organic umbrella. A label that reads “made with organic ingredients” means that only 70 percent of what’s in the product needs to make the list. Because of all this wiggle room, “organic” has become a word with diluted and convoluted meaning.

Jury Says

Read your labels. When it comes to produce, there are 12 items you should always buy organic when possible, as they have the most likelihood of being contaminated with pesticides: strawberries, apples, nectarines, peaches, celery, grapes, cherries, spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Beyond that, look for “100 percent Organic” or, at the least, simply “organic.” Even then, read and make sure the ingredients list actually contains what it advertises.

We’re not going to tell you not to buy things that are not organic. Sometimes, that’s the only option you’ve got. But educate yourself and know what you’re putting onto — or into — your body. Then go from there.

Photo: Bonnin Studio

You Might Also Like

Eat This Now: Crispy Kimchi and Scallion Pancakes
Wellness

Eat This Now: Crispy Kimchi and Scallion Pancakes

Corky Pollan is famed author Michael Pollan’s mother. She deserves at least...

read
Unraveling the Confusion Around HRT
Wellness

Unraveling the Confusion Around HRT

One of the more controversial issues regarding women’s health is whether to...

read
A Relaxed Guide to Dealing With Stress
Wellness

A Relaxed Guide to Dealing With Stress

If stress will kill you — and it will — it’s a...

read
8 Reasons to Eat More Avocados
Wellness

8 Reasons to Eat More Avocados

Good nutrition should be delicious, and the extraordinary avocado is one of...

read
Should You Try a Raw Food Diet?
Wellness

Should You Try a Raw Food Diet?

You’ve watched the documentaries, listened to the interviews, and read the articles,...

read
Exercise to Sculpt Your Brain (and Outsmart Cognitive Decline)
Wellness

Exercise to Sculpt Your Brain (and Outsmart Cognitive Decline)

You’re retelling a juicy story to a dear friend and find yourself...

read
Load More
share
To Top