When Elle Macpherson and her business partner, Andrea Horwood, launched their wellness brand, WelleCo, in 2014, they had noticed a shift in priorities and an increasing emphasis on wellness, not just in their own lives but globally.
At the time, Macpherson was nearing 50 and feeling run down. She sought the help of nutritionist Dr. Simone Laubscher, who taught Macpherson about alkaline versus acidic foods and how our bodies are designed to absorb nutrition via natural foods. She then formulated an alkalizing green powder that put the supermodel back on the feel-good map: an all-in-one greens supplement dubbed THE SUPER ELIXIR, which helps restore a healthy pH balance and assists with lowering the acidity in the body that can lead to inflammation, low energy, weight gain, and accelerated aging.
“When I started including these greens as part of my daily ritual, I finally felt like my body was able to absorb all the nutrients it craved,” Macpherson says. “Like many others facing small or large health issues, I discovered the profound effect good nutrition can have on the way I feel and look. I noticed that my skin wasn’t dry anymore; it looked plumper and had what nutritionists call ‘the alkaline glow.’ My sugar cravings subsided as my blood sugar levels became more balanced. My digestion improved, and I felt more upbeat and emotionally balanced.”
The results were just too good for Macpherson to keep her discovery to herself, and WelleCo was born.
In the four years since its launch, the company has grown to a include range of dietary supplements: not only WelleCo SUPER ELIXIR Greens but also WelleCo Nourishing Protein in Raw Cacao and Natural Vanilla flavors and WelleCo Sleep Welle Tea.
Always interested in the wisdom of women we admire, we asked Macpherson a few questions.
Is 50 when you began to feel an age-related shift in your way of seeing and being in the world?
When I turned 50 I just thought, “How cool!” I have years of experience and, hopefully, wisdom. It’s a wonderful milestone from an emotional, spiritual, and physical point of view. It was definitely a turning point for me, because I realized my lifestyle needed to be adjusted, as I could no longer rely purely on genetics. WelleCo was born from this realization.
I also discovered my spiritual and emotional well-being is just as important as my physical health. In fact, it can influence my physical well-being. I swapped my diet for one that was predominantly whole-foods, plant-based, and alkalizing, and started taking my daily dose of WelleCo SUPER ELIXIR Greens.
Other than taking your daily Greens, what other changes did you make around that time?
My skin texture has changed over the years, and so I’m very diligent about massage, exfoliation, and circulation to make sure my skin is nourished and moisturized. The shape of my body also changed to some extent, especially after having children, but I embrace it. I don’t want to have the same body that I had when I was 20 — after all, I’m not the same person I was then. For me, it comes down to wellness from the inside out. I make sure my body is nourished and that I am eating a healthy diet, and I’m self-aware and educated, so I can deal with ailments as they come.
What is one thing — good or not so good — that has surprised you about growing older?
I discovered that I like the idea of flowing with life and that how I feel health-wise is very important. “Beauty at every age” is such a boring cliché, but I believe beauty is not just reserved for youth. I have had amazing life experiences and hopefully have another 50 years of experiences ahead of me.
What does “aging gracefully” mean to you? How do you plan to do that?
I’ve learned to appreciate and adjust to all phases of life. Being here and now is important to me. Constantly re-evaluating beauty and wellness choices to adjust to my current being helps me evolve and stay relevant. For me, it’s about the way I feel: If I’m feeling good, strong, and vibrant, then I tend to look better. It’s beauty from the inside.
Greatest age-related “pain”?
I don’t feel any kind of pain or milestone in my 50s at all — perhaps because I’ve been preparing for this stage of my life for a long time. It is more of a rebirth. It’s exciting!
Greatest age-related “pleasure”?
I feel very secure within myself — strong, happy, and motivated. Hopefully, I’ve gained some wisdom over the years. And I have a sense of humour about the ups and downs of life. I’m reminded that whatever is bothering me today will rarely be relevant in six months.
What would your 52-year-old self like to say to your 32-year-old self?
I would say, “You’re not going to be picked as a model every time, and that’s OK. That’s why you need to go out and do your own thing.” I would also say, “Please put sunscreen on!” And, of course, “Don’t sweat the small stuff; it all works out in the end. And if it hasn’t worked out, it’s not the end!”
Elle Macpherson’s Top 5 Ways to Age With Grace
1. A holistic approach to wellness is key for me, and because I am Australian, it always has been. When I was a little girl, instead of going to the doctor, I went to the chiropractor or acupuncturist. As I matured, so has this life approach to health and wellness. When you’re young, beauty and youth seem to go hand in hand, but as you age, wellness and beauty seem go hand in hand.
2. Simplifying and decluttering my life is a big focus for me. I don’t take tons of vitamins and supplements: I take only WelleCo SUPER ELIXIR. I don’t have a large wardrobe, and I don’t wear a lot of accessories. It’s cleansing and nourishing to focus only on the essentials. It puts me in a strong place. Quality over quantity!
3. Exercise has to be fun. When I pick my exercise, I choose a sport I love, usually one that drives me outdoors. I’ve swapped my intense workouts for more nurturing ones, like long bike rides, swimming, and yoga. In many ways, I’m in better shape now for it.
4. Water is essential. I start each day with warm water and lemon (and sometimes cayenne pepper) to boost my metabolism but also to start the rehydration process. I routinely drink 3 liters of water a day — more if I’ve done a tough workout such as boxing or some kind of interval training.
5. I prioritize love and laughter, because being connected to nature and other humans is crucial. I truly value together-time with people I love.
To order THE SUPER ELIXIR, go to welleco.com.