With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we thought we’d share Elissa Goodman’s recipe for superfood almond butter cups. Made with maca powder and raw cacao, and finished with a pinch of pure sea salt, this is a sweet treat you can feel good about.
Amazing Almond Butter Cups
2/3 c coconut oil
2/3 c raw cacao powder
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla extract
1 tsp maca powder
1/2 c almond butter (at room temperature)
1. Set up a double boiler using one large pot and one smaller one. Fill the larger pot with a few inches of water — enough to touch the bottom of the second pot — then place the smaller pot in the larger pot. Place the whole thing on the stove.
2. Over medium heat, melt coconut oil; mix in cacao, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Stir well.
3. Fill a small muffin tin with liners. Add 2 tsp. of chocolate into the bottom of each cup. Set remaining chocolate mixture aside for later, but keep melted. Place muffin tin with the first layer of chocolate into freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to harden.
4. Stir maca powder into almond butter, mixing well. Remove muffin tin from freezer. Add a spoonful of almond butter to each cup, flatten.
5. Pour remaining chocolate evenly among the cups (a few teaspoons in each).
6. Tops cups off with another pinch of sea salt, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, goji berries, or chopped nuts. Place the tin back in the freezer until firm. Store covered in the fridge or freezer (they tend to melt faster than store-bought cups).
Want another chocolatey idea? Try a whole grain chocolate bundt cake.