A quick search for fall beauty trends yields lots of buzz about the graphic eyeliner, pulsating neons, and glitter-coated lids sent down runways, but our favorite looks had designers toning down the dazzle in favor of radiant skin, fluffy brows, and warm cheeks. Here’s how to get a natural glow.
A widespread rosy flush adds youthful warmth to fairer fall and winter skin. If this feels too youthful, skip dusting the apples of your cheeks and stick to the cheekbones with a more precise blush brush.
1. Marc Jacobs Air Blush Soft Glow Duo is silky and light for a barely there feel that lasts all day. Dip into one end for more color and the other for a bit less. Lush & Libido contains two sweet pinks, but five color combos offer something for everyone. Available at net-a-porter.com, $42.
3. Review our argument for cream blushes and then consider Clé de Peau Cream Blush in Pale Fig. Its silky formula is smooth, easy to blend, buildable, and dries with a sheen. Available at cledepeau.com, $60.
NEUTRAL, GLOSSY LIPS
A matte lip is hard to pull off with a flakey kisser, so we’re happy to report easy, throw-on-and-go neutral gloss is the lip look du jour.
1. Despite its lengthy name, Fenty Beauty’s Pro Kiss’r Luscious Lip Balm is simple and lovely. It’s moisturizing with mango and shea seed butters, nonsticky, and comes in one shade, a sheer “invisipink,” good for all skin tones. Available at fentybeauty.com, $18.
2. Bobbi Brown Extra Lip Tint is a sheer, lightweight, surprisingly glossy balm stick. Give Bare Pink a whirl for one shade pinker than neutral. Available at macys.com, $34.
3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Shine in True Nude is truly conditioning, never sticky, and a tube you’ll buy again. Available at drugstores everywhere, $8.50.
FULL, FLUFFY BROWS
Out with the overly penciled, stenciled, sculpted brows, and in with their more natural, softly groomed selves. Grab a tube of tinted gel, complete with tiny mascara wand, to make your eyebrows appear fuller, fill in gaps, and shape and hold hairs in place. They can even mask grays — if you’re into that.
1. Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow + Volumizing Eyebrow Gel is easy to use and gives brows definition and volume. It’s water resistant, comes in eight shades, and is buildable for deeper color. Available at ulta.com, $24.
2. With a teensy angled brush, L’oreal Brow Stylist Boost & Set Brow Mascara thickens brows instantly. It’s our editor’s everyday go-to. Available at drugstores everywhere, $10.
3. Milk Makeup Kush Fiber Brow Gel boasts “heart-shaped fibers,” though we have no idea why that’s helpful. What we can say is this vegan formula is long lasting, smudge proof, and a great alternative for getting naturally bold brows without the severity of a penciled look. Available at sephora.com, $20.
DEWY, HYDRATED SKIN
Good skin in is. Isabel Marant, Max Mara, Lanvin, Prabal Gurung, and many more designers chose pared-down makeup that highlighted healthy skin instead of splashy artistry. Stella McCartney models even received hyaluronic acid hydration facials backstage before hitting the runway with their plump, glowing mugs.
1. Get the model treatment by following Tata Harper’s backstage moves with a layer of her Hydrating Floral Mask and a few spritzes of Hydrating Floral Essence. Available at tataharperskincare.com, $95 and $94.
2. We recommend Josie Maran Argan Moonstone Drops to prime the skin for a luminous finish, no matter what you put on top. It’s also pretty by itself. Available at sephora.com, $48.
3. Laura Mercier’s cult-worshipped tinted moisturizer got an update and now includes SPF 30 and two versions: the original Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector and the Illuminating Natural Skin Perfector with pearl dust. Available at lauramercier.com, $47.
4. Set makeup or revive dull midday skin with Herbivore’s super silky Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Face Mist, which just got a reformulation to include hyaluronic acid and organic rose hydrosol, for extra soothing, softening, and hydrating properties. Available at dermstore.com, $32.
LIT FROM WITHIN
We’re not talking contoured, sparkly, shimmery cheekbones, but a happy, healthy, just-had-a-facial glow. To keep it extra subtle, apply highlighter before blush for a peek-through effect.
1. Glossier Quartz Haloscope is beloved by makeup artist and dewy skin maestro Katie Jane Hughes, and we understand why. It leaves a realistic radiance behind. (Warning: It feels light, but stays slightly tacky to the touch.) Available at glossier.com, $22.
2. RMS Beauty Magic Luminizer is a warmer, champagne-hued sibling to the much-adored Living Luminizer, famous for imparting a glow that’s subtle and dewy, rather than shimmery. Available at thedetoxmarket.com, $38.
3. Try Westman Atelier’s Lit Up stick, a super sheer highlighter with an iridescent undertone for a barely there highlight that is as chic as its packaging. Available at violetgrey.com, $48.